Saturday, December 5, 2009

Who Say's I Can't Get Stoned?


Since apparently I am slacking on my blog updates, I am finally writing this based on a show I saw two weeks ago.


Two weeks ago, we were given a tip that John Mayer was giving a secret show in the Brooklyn. So myself and my roommate (who is in love with him) made the trek out there at 5 o'clock in the morning and stood in line in the cold for 4 hours before being given free passes into this event.


One of my best friends (not one of my fellow contributors) has been a massive John Mayer fan for as long as I've known her and because of her love of him, I began to appreciate the sexiness that is his music.


I went into the concert expecting a good show but what I wasn't expecting was his amazing stage pressence. Like everyone else, I've read of his exploits with woman and the rumors of his douche bag-ness, and came to the conclusion that he was an awesome musician but not a very nice guy. But when you watch the man on stage you are able to forgive him for his sins. Amongst fantastic, heartstopping performances of songs like Belief (my personal favorite), Crossroads, Who Say's I Can't Get Stoned (one of my new all-time favorite songs), etc. he talked of his tabloid self, making comments about (and I'm paraphrasing here) how he didn't know that it was such a crime to want to get to know a girl. Why is he unable to approach a cute girl, there are so many of them, and how it shouldn't be such a sin to want to get to know as many cute girls as possible. During this discussion, he had them turn up the house lights and started pointing out cute girls in the audience. I don't know how hearing this second hand will sound (I can only picture him saying it) but he came across as ridiculously charming and completely comprehensible when he put it like that.


In my opinion, I think it's a shame that he "equate(s) dating a woman with punishment, shame, guilt, disappointment, reproach, reprimand, persecution. It's a nightmare. It's crazy to (him) that in (his) head, that being 32 and dating women is going to get (him) in trouble. (He) can't even explain to you how terrible that feels" (New York Times). Like I said about Rob and Kristen, just let him be. People should lead their lives how they wish to. As John so eloquently put (again paraphrasing) at the end of your life, you'll be the only one in that coffin. So why should anyone give a shit? They won't be laying on top of you.


Now that I am off my soap box, I must tell you all how amazing this show was. I've seen my share of concerts but this one...was almost indescribable. I've never seen anyone interact so much with an audience. He literally was taking people's cameras and leaning down to take pictures with them. At his show, you were able to feel how much he loved performing. You could see how he enjoyed being on that stage and it wasn't in a vanity sense, it was purely for his love of music. While watching him, all I kept thinking was how much I wanted to be onstage belting out songs with him (the problem with that is, I don't have a musical bone in my body). It reminded me of how important passion was in your choosen career. And how when you REALLY love something, everyone around you can feel and wants a piece of it. I suppose that passion/love can be directed at a person, but I've never felt that way about a person (except Johnny Depp, but I don't know how much of chance I've got with him...) For me, my passion is directed towards movies and books.


Holy crap, I went on quite a ramble didn't I? Well it's over now, so if anyone is still reading, you can breath easy now. lol.


~Hans


PS this is one of the many pictures I took this night. I think it's pretty cool.
"Who says I can’t be free? From all of the things that I used to be. Re-write my history. Who says I can’t be free?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.