Monday, June 1, 2009

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."
-John Lubbock





Summer is a time that inspires instant nostalgia for youthful carelessness. Now, nostalgia isn't the easiest thing to inspire in someone as young as I am. You have to take what you're given. So as I sit here, enjoying the way the sun feels and listening to the Decemberists croon through the speakers, I consider that it wasn't that long ago that I was graduating high school with my head spinning about what would happen next.

A lot changed for me those last few weeks of high school and life as I knew it had ended. I was beginning something new and exciting and scary as hell.
Now I've grown up a little, and the future isn't so frightening. I start my first real job (as in, not in a restaurant or another teen job) as an assistant tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I'm excited too. I know I wouldn't have gotten the job if it weren't for my sister, so I really want to work hard and not screw it up. But instead of thinking about it, I am going to get a good book and lay out and enjoy the summer. Because I think Mr. Lubbock was on to something when he said that "rest is not idleness," and I recommend you testing his theory out too.

~Ferdinando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.