Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bette Davis

Last night was a long night. I spent it with the same old group that I hung out with throughout high school and I didn’t get back home to well after the sun had risen. After a night like that, a girl just needs a day of relaxation. Thankfully, Turner Classic Movies had a great Bette Davis film playing. I love TCM. It’s an addiction, that and the Travel Channel. This was my first time watching Jezebel (1938) and it was an interesting depiction of old customs and pride blinding people’s decisions.

One thing that I have always loved about Bette Davis was her penchant for taking roles that went against the times of women stars being portrayed as beautiful dolls that would be sympathetic to the audience. Bette Davis is quoted as saying, “Hollywood always wanted me to be pretty, but I fought for realism.” Her willingness to step outside of the boundaries of beauty, sometimes depicting women older and less glamorous than herself, allowed her to be a shining guide of acting credibility for women. Bette Davis won an Academy Award for her work in this film. I certainly understand why.


Wasn’t she beautiful? She had the biggest eyes.

~Ferdinando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.