Monday, May 11, 2009

“Beam me up, Scotty!”


Right. So the line was actually never said, but being a completely oblivious soon-to-be trekkie, I needed to take advantage of whatever information would put me ahead of the curve. So at dinner the group of people I was going to see the movie with, amongst them Francois and Hans, collected what little we knew about the Star Trek franchise and collaborated.

We knew painfully little. Live long and prosper. The Vulcan salute. Beam me up, Scotty. And isn’t Spock half-human? Yes, I believe so. Pitiful you may say, but we weren’t dissuaded. In fact, we were more interested. Could we, outsiders of the Star Trek enterprise (pun unintended…seriously), enjoy the movie. YES! It was a blockbuster adaptation that, from what I could tell from other hard-core fans in the audience, was both mainstream and fan-worthy. I had very high expectations on Star Trek and I was not disappointed. While my generation can be quite a cynical bunch (which can be seen in the sales of the Dark Knight) Star Trek left me, with its strangely acceptable level of hope, literally leaving the theatre with, hold on to your hats kids, a feeling of optimism.

At one point a man turned to me and asked if I was here for the movie or an actor. I tend to get that a lot, frustratingly. No, surprisingly, I am actually interested in the film. Do you want me to critique X-Men too, sir? And Chris Pine wasn’t even in that one…

~Ferdinando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.