Saturday, October 24, 2009

Wet-look Leggings

If I had one fashion faux pas that I absolutely loathe, its the trend of replacing sleek and chic jeans with frumpy leggings. Henry David Thoreau said "Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." I am crossing my fingers that we will all look in the mirror before we leave our apartments, houses, dorms and realize the very imminent trend of wearing leggings as pants should die before we leave the front door.

It is my honest belief that not even long-legged models could pull off the look, so the rest of us are goners if we choose to follow it. But while my half-mad rantings may appear to be directed at leggings in general, I do declare that this is not so. The inspiration for my rant came from shopping net-a-porter.com. I happened to stumble upon the gorgeous Kova & T wet-look leggings in gray, below.
Aren't they gorgeous? It did flicker in my mind, however, that some girl out in the world today will see these slick leggings and decide that all she needs to match them with are a short shirt, barely grazing the top of the leggings. This saddens me, my friends, because that would break the mystique of the leggings, that would distract, and nothing this chic needs to be distracted from. Once again, see below:

This is how net-a-porter.com suggests you wear them, and I quote, "with an exaggerated silhouette with a billowing T-shirt for effortless downtown cool. Shown here with a Vivienne Westwood Anglomania T-shirt and Yves Saint Laurent sandals." At least I'm not the only sane one in the world. I mean, they didn't come right out and say "Leggings Aren't Pants" but they might as well have.

I personally would keep it simple, throw on a black t-shirt dress and heels and I suddenly am, as net-a-porter so kindly puts it, "downtown cool," which is the best kind of cool. Word.

So if you ever find yourself being tempted in the slightest by the masses and you think you may look fine wearing leggings out, just do this simple trick. Throw together your outfit and if you love what you look like, take off the leggings. If you wouldn't leave without the leggings, you shouldn't leave with the leggings. Trust me...please.

~Ferdinando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.